Thursday, May 5, 2011

Doll Summer Dress/Pinafore Tutorial




I came across my mother sewn, old Cabbage Patch Doll but all it had was an infant hospital shirt. What happened to all those adorable clothes that my mom made to go with her? I remembered a super easy summer dress my mom made. I searched out online for a pattern or tutorial, why recreate the work that someone else has already gone to? I spent too much time searching and came up empty handed. I pulled out my newsprint roll and got to work creating my own pattern (you may use for personal use only). You may also want to make one or two from paper making sure it fits your doll before cutting your fabric.






Cut 2 of the same fabric or make one lining. With right sides together, sew the pieces together leaving 1 1/2 - 2 inch opening to turn. Iron, close off the opening and sew a top stitch 1/4 inch around the entire dress.



Add snaps or buttons or velcro. See photo.



**there is a cutting line to use if using scraps. Be sure to leave seams allowance to attach to look like the full pattern.





This dress Needs Bloomer or Shorts. I made a simple shorts pattern. Turn the top under and sew for elastic (must leave opening to string elastic through). Depending on the size, you can add elastic to the hem of the legs or just hem them for shorts.



Now my daughter can Enjoy. Hope you enjoy and make a few.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to have your pattern to make some dresses for a doll I have.

    ReplyDelete